School Learning Plan
Bethany Elementary School
Bethany Elementary began as a one room schoolhouse in 1895. As the population grew in the area, so did the need for a larger building. A new school was built and operated from 1900-1948 on donated property near what is now Springville Road. The current Bethany school building was constructed by the Beaverton School District in 1970. We are one of BSD’s small neighborhood K-5 schools located on the north side of the district, currently serving 380 students. Bethany has many traditions (like 5th graders getting to ring the original schoolhouse bell on the last day of school) while embracing change and innovation in thought and practices. We have a rich diversity of students, staff, and families that make up our community. We believe our diversity is one of our greatest gifts and assets. There are 28 different native languages spoken among the student body with Japanese being the most prevalent language after English. In addition to our linguistic diversity, we celebrate the identity and individuality of every child.
Our school song says it best;
“We’re all a family under one sky.”
Equity and inclusion are key pillars in our vision and mission.
Bethany is a Certified Oregon Green School. Sustainability and environmentally-minded practices are woven into our daily habits and enrichment opportunities in the Garden Club and school Green Team.
We are a high-performing school academically, but what makes Bethany special is the tremendous amount of community support and dedicated staff. We have a very low staff attrition rate, therefore school staff develop deep and meaningful relationships with families over many years. There is a strong culture of care and belonging among the faculty that is extended to the student body. We feel privileged to work with children and families and hope these precious elementary years are filled with a love of learning, JOY, the beginning of lifelong friendships, and good memories.
Date of Last Revision: January 25, 2022
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.